St. George Ironman

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

First Swim & Bike

So today was my first day of training on the swim and the bike. I had swam a half mile about 2 weeks ago so I decided to go for a mile this morning just to see how long it would take me. I surprised myself by doing it in 31 minutes. I know Shayne and Kristal.... that's not very fast compared to your standards but I was happy with it for my first mile swim. I then went and did 30 minutes on the stationary bike in the gym while watching Sportscenter. I know I won't have Sportscenter to keep me company when I'm riding in the streets but I'm just beginning. So start out slowly right?!? The highlights of the NBA playoffs made it easy to take my mind off the pain (for some reason baseball highlights doesn't have the same affect. LOL). I went 9.2 miles in the half hour and I was sweating like crazy. I think it'll get better as I get more conditioned to the bike. We'll see. I am now weighing 177 lbs. which is down 4 lbs. from last week. I changed my diet which is helping. Talked to my brother Joel about doing some shorter Triathlons with him in the summer which should be fun and good training races. I'll keep you posted as they get closer. Hasta manana!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck John. We are excited for you and it will be fun to follow your progress. We will do whatever we can to support you. Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! Can't wait to cheer you on. It was so much fun to see the 5 people we did know run the race. But it'll be that much more fun having a family member to support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met a guy at the volunteer's banquet, from here, who is signed up to do it. You want me to find out his contact info and set ya'll up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malea, if you could find out who he is that would be cool. It would be nice to have someone to train with on long days.

    ReplyDelete